Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Let your Heart Be Light

My lifelong best friend wrote a blog post this week that sparked some emotion in me regarding Christmas, and much to her delight, I felt like I needed to write them down and maybe get them out of my system! So, here goes, hope you are ready for this!

So, my tree is up! That's it, it's up. Luckily it is pre-lit or it would have nothing on it, except for the 5 ornaments I placed on it! FIVE, count them F I V E!

Last year we were spoiled, we were able to spend Christmas at Disney World, so we did not decorate or buy gifts, the trip was our gifts, so this year I have had a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit.  I'm not sure exactly why, except for the fact that they had Christmas stuff out while I was doing school shopping, applying the pressure earlier and earlier!

I will have to tell you that I'm a perfectionist, and I always dream of having a magazine perfect tree! I've always hated decorating with the school stuff the kids made when they were small until this year, when they were all ruined in the flood we had. My teen daughter made a statement that really struck my heart this week, when she talked of all the fun they had decorating the tree with their stuff. Now that they are all growing up, I know they will be gone soon and all the stuff I once despised I now long to have.

I have let society pressure me for too long to have the perfect house, with the perfect tree and buy all the must haves for my kids! This year I have decided to stop and savor my time with my children and family, forgo all the expenses of trying to decorate and instead invest time into making memories for my children! I want them to make paper chains and snowflakes, and hang them on the tree, to enjoy the simple things in life! What is so funny is all of the kids and my husband have commented on how nice the bare tree looks, with just the lights!

This year we don't have a lot to spend on gifts, but my goal is to make memories with them that won't get broken or lost, that will last a lifetime, and all they will cost is my time!
I may not be eaten up with the Christmas spirit, but I am determined to make memories with my family!

But most of all, I want to remember the true meaning of Christmas! While contemplating this post, I ran across another blog of a crafter who made an ornament that said "Let your heart be Light."
That's what I want my heart to be, Light that others can see Christ in me!

1 comment:

  1. Please text or call me.
    I'm not sure if you got a new number or something is wrong with the phone.
    I have been trying to text you for a couple of weeks now.
    if there is a phone problem then email me please.
    Love ya,
    Me

    ReplyDelete