Monday, April 23, 2012

Becoming...a comforter

I know it has been forever since my last post. I turned over my laptop to my son for school work, and have yet to figure out how to post pictures on my blog from my iPad. So, I just haven't posted anything, which makes me sad...I really do enjoy blogging! I'm not famous, only have 3 official followers, but some how have about 600 page reads? Anyway...I currently have 3 or 4 post with pictures that I am going to post this week, no matter what! On to my title... In the wee hours of the morning last week, I was awaken by the pitter patter of a little person sneaking into our bed. Now, as parents to 5 children, we have had to draw the line to kids in the bed. Of course the minute I was awake I had to go to the bathroom. So I said to "K girl" go back to bed...sister, you've got to get up honey, mommy has to go! (tmi I know) So, she left(I thought) and I went on down the hall. By this time I'm wide awake, and wondering where she is. I didn't see her pass the bathroom on her way back to her room...so I wake the sleeping teen on the couch( because the couch sleeps better then her own bed I'm told) and ask where said sister went? She didn't come this way...I call out to her and she comes up the 3 stairs from my room. "K girl," you have to go back to your bed, there isn't enough room for us all in my bed. Before I had even started this speech, she was already sobbing, so by the time I was finished, she was near hysteria. This is not normal for her at 2 or 3 in the morning. As we talked, I find out she had had a very bad dream, she was physically shaking as she told of the bad guy after her family. I remembered the bad dreams as a child, paralyzed with fear when you awoke from them. Nothing could restore your sense of safety like slipping into the bed with mom and dad. But, before I could tell her she could sleep with us, she said, "I just need to be with my daddy." Now, she is not the daddy's girl she used to be, but what she was crying out for was his protection and strength and comfort of his embrace. Now, my husband is a good dad, a very good dad by my standards, but he isn't a mushy dad. He is a dad who provides tirelessly for his children, laughs with them at times, but is pretty serious most of the time. He is a disciplinary father, the kids are not spoiled in my books, we try to teach them values and live a Godly life. She and I walk to our room together, all the while, she is still sobbing a bit and shaking with fear. I stand beside the bed on my husbands side and pat his leg. Daddy, she needs you. That was it, no questions asked, no lecture, no stern go back to bed...he raises up the covers, she climbs in and he envelopes her with his huge protective arms. I crawl into bed on my side, snuggle up against his back, and reach over and put my hand on her, I pray for comfort and peace, and I weep. It is at this moment that the Lord reminds me that He is just like that. When we come to Him, we can fall into His arms...He is the Comforter...He will give you peace, rest and strength. For some who grew up with less than perfect fathers, many times the comparison of Christ as your "Heavenly Father" does not carry the meaning that it should. But, in that moment, I saw what a good father does, and how my Heavenly Father will do the same.

1 comment:

  1. This post would fit right into lesson one of the "More to Life" women's bible study.
    Glad to see you're posting again.
    Have you googled "how to post pictures on blogger using an IPad? I'm sure someone has made a tutorial on it.
    In the meantime, I will ask my pastors daughter. She has an IPad and a blog. Maybe she will know.
    ~Me

    ReplyDelete